The church in Väike-Maarja was founded in 1346 and consecrated to the virgin Mary. During renovations in 1873 the present day stone tower was built. It reached 61.4 meters high.
There is a sundial above the side entrance of the church.
During a storm on the 9th of August 2010 (less than a year after our visit), the spire of the church tower fell down1.
1: Storm Damage: Väike-Maarja's Church Tower ERR News 2010-08-12.
Copyright Otto de Voogd 2009