In 1934 the Estonian government contracted two submarines from the British engineering firm Vickers-Armstrong. The submarines Lembit and Kalev started operating as part of the Estonian Navy in 1937.
Both submarines were taken over by the Soviet Union in 1940 after it occupied Estonia. The Kalev sank under the Soviet flag probably after hitting a mine in October 1941.
For many years the submarine lay in the waters of the former seaplane harbor. In 2012 it was moved into the reconstructed seaplane hangar that now serves as the Estonian Maritime Museum.
Video of the Winching of the submarine Lembit on the 21st of May 2011.
For information about visiting the Lembit see the Seaplane Harbour Museum website.
Copyright Otto de Voogd 2006 & 2009 & 2012