Sangaste castle was once the home of Count Fredrich Georg Magnus von Berg (1845-1938), whose most notable achievement was the breeding of winter-rye. He became deaf 50 years before his death.
Construction of the castle lasted 7 years and was completed in 1883. Interestingly each room has different windows. Originally the castle had 99 rooms, because only the emperor was allowed to have 100 or more rooms.
There is a glass ceiling above the ball room.
Copyright Otto de Voogd 2009