Purtse vassal fortress-manor was built by Jakob von Taube in 1533, as a mixture between a defensive structure and a residential manor. Such structures were not built as strategic fortresses in case of war but rather as dwellings that provided protection against uprisings by Estonian peasants and provided a stronghold from which to control the surrounding area.
The fortress was heavily damaged during the Great Northern War. Reconstruction was completed in 1990.
The fortress is located about a kilometer north of the main Tallinn-Narva highway, and is visible from the road.
Copyright Otto de Voogd 2009