The vassal tower-stronghold of Angerja was probably built in the 14th century. The rectangular construction was made of limestone, the walls were two meters thick and it was surrounded by a moat. Some parts of the walls remain to this day and a moat is still visible. It is thought that the stronghold was destroyed during the Livonian war.
There is also what appears to be a small bridge nearby in the forest.
Tower-strongholds were built by vassals to protect themselves, mostly against peasant uprisings, especially after the failed St. George's Night uprising (Estonian: Jüriöö ületõus) of Estonian peasants in 1343.
Copyright Otto de Voogd 2010